Divinely Rejected

 

Divinely Rejected

           The other night I prayed to God about something I never thought I would pray about. I prayed that all three of my children would be rejected. Yes, you read correctly, rejected. I know, it sounds harsh, hateful, and downright cruel but I did it with the best intentions.  My children are 7, 5, and 9 months. My 7 year old daughter, Deborah, is beginning to taste how the world can be cruel and unfair. I remind her of all the blessings, love, friends and family she is surrounded amongst. However, I know I cannot always be there to wipe the tears, mend broken hearts, defeat bullies, and experience the harmful effects of gossip. The only thing, yet most powerful, thing I can do is pray to God who can under His guidance and authority protect and stir my children’s hearts to desire His perfect will. And if it means they are rejected from man’s faulty expectations then let it be.

           It could be what we perceive as earthly failures is what protects us from true heartache, an abusive relationship, neglect, or a toxic work environment. As I look over the last 20 years of my life, I now see God’s hand on my life. The rejection of a desired relationship saved me from years of heartache while being unequally yoked. Rejection from potential high paying careers saved me from unnecessary stress and a horrible work environment.  Though I thought I was rejected, Jesus was right along on the side protecting and guiding me for something better.

          Rejection hits us at our core and when we are vulnerable the enemy fills us with feelings of inadequacies, insecurities, and ultimately believing the lie that something is wrong with me. We are made in Gods’ image. By His saving unfathomable grace, I was made to succeed, be restored, and give glory all unto Him while recognizing I cannot do anything without Him. Rejection humbles us but brings us to a loving Father who equips us to further the Kingdom of Heaven. How dishonoring it would be to say “Father, I love you. I desire your will for my life”, yet, chase all what the world has to offer even if it is not seemly sinful 

Fourteen years ago, I applied to attend University of Lafayette Louisiana’s Master’s level Psychology and Counseling Program. I took the GRE, filled out the applications, crossed my T’s and dotted my I’s and waited with good intentions that I would be accepted. But I was rejected. My GPA was decent yet my GRE scores were insufficient.  A professor from ULL’s psychology department wrote me “with these scores you will never be accepted into any Master’s level program.”

Devastated, yet hopeful, I prayed that God would place me in the right school. And that He did. During the Fall 2006 semester, I was accepted into the MDiv Psychology and Counseling Program at New Orleans Seminary. I met my best friend for life, my husband. We now have three amazing children.

 

We have shared 12 wonderful years as a married couple. He challenges me, pursues me, loves me and willingly chooses me as his faithful bride. I strive to be a better person because of those beautiful people. I would have never had that opportunity if I would have never been ‘rejected.”

          Rejection is not always the result of you doing or not doing something wrong. We are not so powerful to alter God’s will for our lives. If we can trust Him with our salvation then we can most definitely trust Him with our future.

 

          Dear Jesus,

 

          Please who ever reads this with a broken heart mend his or her heart together. Rejection hurts to the core. Jesus, You know all too well what rejection feels like. There were, and still currently, many times I reject You to chase dreams; yet, you still choose me. Allow me to be rejected so I can aline my life with Your will. Rejection is a temporary hurt but Your gifts are Eternal.

 

Proverbs 3: 5-6

 

          Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

 

         

Comments